The Photoshop Creativity Tour
Learn to merge multiple, otherwise average-looking images into a creative composite image that shows how the whole is much greater than the pieces from which it is made.
- Use creative masking to weave the contents of one layer so that it appears to go above and below other layers.
- Create complex backgrounds by combining simple features like Shape Layers, Layer Styles and Patterns.
- Learn to quickly target any layer, reposition it and move it up or down in the layers stack without having to look at the Layers panel, use menus or click any icons.
- Seamlessly blend multiple images so you can’t tell where one ends and the other begins.
- Match brightness, contrast and color between layers to make sure separate images feel right when combined.
Adding Dimension to Your Images
Learn to use light and shadows along with perspective and atmosphere to create a sense of a third dimension in your 2D images.
- Use perspective to properly place objects within a scene and make them look as if they are at differing depths.
- Learn to add atmospheric distortion to trick the eye into thinking some objects are further away than others.
- Add light and shadows while keeping them at the correct angles to add even more dimension. Also learn how varying the density and softness of a shadow determines how far an object seems to float above any background.
- Discover how varied sharpness and varied shadow rendering can make a three dimensional object feel more realistic and how generic settings produce generic imagery.
- Bend scanned imagery over three dimensional surfaces to add realistic textures to a background.
- Retouch three dimensional images by retaining proper perspective when cloning from near and far objects.
- Curl the corner of flat objects and add proper shadows while retaining text edit-ability.
Essential Masking Techniques
Learning how to properly isolate an element from its background is an essential skill for anyone who composites multiple images.
- Learn how the background can be removed from a logo or graphic in seconds while gaining the ability to change the color at any moment.
- Acquire the skills necessary to master Photoshop’s Pen tool and use Vector Masks in your designs.
- Master the tips & tricks that are absolutely essential to creating accurate selections.
- Discover the best method for isolating furry, fuzzy and hairy objects from their backgrounds.
- Learn to match the edge quality of objects so that you can produce masks that have crisp edges in some areas and soft, out of focus areas in others.
Advanced Blending Modes
Photoshop’s blending modes (multiply, screen, hard light, etc) are essential to any creative Photoshop project. Learn to push them beyond the basics to see what they’re really capable of.
- See how a specialized set of filters can take special advantage of blending modes to become dramatically more useful.
- Learn which blending modes are most useful when working with masks and see how they can save you a lot of time and frustration.
- Discover why the blending mode menu is organized the way it is and see how the grouped modes relate to each other.
- Understand how multiple blending modes are often necessary to produce a satisfactory result and how the order and opacity affect your results.
- Use blending modes to separate the bright and dark parts of a layer into separate elements so that they can easily be adjusted separately.
Jaw Dropping Tips
In this session, Ben will pull out all the stops and show you the best tips he’s come up with over the two decades of teaching Photoshop.
- Create overly intricate designs where updating a single element will dramatically alter the look of the entire image.
- See how make extreme adjustments that seamlessly blend with the rest of an image.
- Learn some mind-blowing photographic 3D effects.
- Transform still photographic images into dynamic video presentations.
- Push Photoshop’s features to their limits to produce results that the program was not designed to create… but we’ll do it anyway.