by Ben Willmore | Sep 23, 2007
I have a brand new on-line class available for beginners that describes how to get started with Photoshop. The class is divided up into four modules:
- Getting Started: shows how to simply Photoshop’s interface so that it does not feel overwhelming and also covers setting a few preferences that will make you life easier. I’ll also show you how to access your images using a simplified version of Bridge.
- Adjustments: I show the most essential adjustments and how to perform color correction and well as fix overly bright or dark images.
- Selections: in this session, I’ll show you how to quickly and easily isolate areas of your image so you can apply adjustments that do not affect the entire image.
- Putting It All Together: learn to work your images from start to finish and explore a few intermediate layer techniques.
I developed this course because I was amazed when watching and reading materials designed for beginners… most of them covered every single preference and file format available instead of trying to simplify the interface and concentrate on the absolute essentials so students don’t get overwhelmed.
I think you can get a
15% discount on the course (but don’t quote me, since I haven’t tested
it yet) by entering "Ben" as a coupon code when signing up for the
class (minus the quotes).
I currently do not have plans to make this class available on DVD.
by Ben Willmore | Sep 13, 2007
I have a brand new class available that covers the exact techniques I used to create the illustrative photographs I’ve been featuring on this blog. The class is available at xtrain.com. I think you can get a 15% discount on the course (but don’t quote me, since I haven’t tested it yet) by entering "Ben" as a coupon code when signing up for the class (minus the quotes). The class is divided up into four modules:
- Shooting for HDR: which describes how to setup your camera and what to look out for when shooting images destined for HDR.
- Merging Exposures: shows you multiple methods for combining multiple exposures into a single HDR image including special ideas for dealing with problems like motion in water, etc.
- Processing HDR Files: you’ll learn how to take a 32-bit HDR file and process it into a normal 8 or 16-bit file that can be further adjusted in Photoshop.
- Enhancement: in this section, I describe the vast majority of Photoshop techniques I use to bring an image to completion, including a few actions that I find to be useful.
Here’s what one student said after taking the class:
"This has to be the best, informative, fully capture of the whole topic on-line course I’ve ever taken or seen. Congratulations to Ben, and anyone helping Ben put this on……I’m totally blown away. I’ve been looking for a long time for this topic to be explained to me."
In a few months, the class should also be available on DVD… keep an eye on this site for future details.
You can also get a discount on the software I use for processing the HDR files (known as Photomatix Pro) by using "Digital Mastery" as your coupon code.
The image above is an example of the type of image you’ll be able to create after taking this class (as well as ones that look more like straight photographs).
by Ben Willmore | Aug 27, 2007
It’s a little late to be listing seminars for this month:
- Wednesday the 5th, 1pm-5pm: Advanced Photoshop Pre-Conference session
- Thursday the 6th, 12pm-1pm: As Easy As 1, 2, 3 (techniques that only have three steps)
- Thursday the 6th, 2pm–In the Xtrain booth: Mastering HDR (I’ll show how I create the images you’ve been seeing on this web site)
- Friday the 7th, 2:30pm-3:30pm: Shooting for Photoshop (change the way you shoot, knowing you’ll end up in Photoshop)
- Friday the 7th, 4pm–In the Peachpit Press booth: Whatever I feel like showing you (I usually wing it)
- Saturday the 8th, 8:15am-9:15am: Mastering Curves
- September 12-25: Private event in Iceland: I’ll be returning to Iceland and will spend nine extra days exploring after teaching for two half days.
- September 28th: Photoshop for Photographers, Detroit: This is my standard one day seminar for Photographers. It costs $99 to attend… $79 if you’re a NAPP member.
by Ben Willmore | Aug 26, 2007
Today, I’m flying to Pittsburgh, PA and will be presenting my Photoshop for Photographers seminar tomorrow before returning to Indianapolis to present the same seminar on Wednesday, August 29th.
by Ben Willmore | Aug 21, 2007
It’s a little late to be listing seminars for this month, but I thought I would since I hadn’t gotten around to it yet. I’ll be speaking at the following events this month:
by Ben Willmore | Aug 5, 2007
It’s now official… I’ll be teaching a Photoshop workshop on a cruise around the Galapagos Islands April 7-17, 2008! We’ll be traveling via the 16 passenger sailing yacht shown above.
11-day trip includes 3 nights in Quito, Ecuador, and a 7-night live-aboard, cruise of the Galapagos islands aboard the Mary Anne. Most days during the cruise include two land excursions and one to two snorkeling excursions each day, as well as the Photoshop Workshop.
The trip is being organized by Wilderness Travel. Visit their site if you’re interesting in joining us… the workshop is already over 1/3 full, so don’t wait too long.